13.11.06

On Sophia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette"


The French didn't like it. And I can see why, I suppose, after studying French culture, language and literature for 4 years - plus the 6 months I spent living there. It failed to acknowledge the down-trodden masses of people "without cake" while the Royal family and their constituants lived in lavish ignorance.




But I thought the film was beautiful: From the costumes, to the scenery to the music to the emotion. After watching the film I couldn't sleep that night. I was tossing and turning with visions of pre-revolutinoary France dancing in my head, of beautiful dresses and shoes and orante golden furniture. Of a young, ignorant Austrian woman forced into Royalty and power when she was just 15.

I like Coppola's modern take on the film as well; the character speak like young people speak today, wiht a certain lack of elegance and comfortable slang. The soundtrack included songs by the Strokes and Bow Wow Wow, yet somehow seemed to fit beautifully where they were placed, despite the 300+ years of cultural progression.

I'm all for "Vive la France"...

but she never said "Let them eat cake."

2 comments:

Tom said...

I'm loving "Hong Kong Garden" by Siouxsie and the Banshees every day now. S&B were the first band I remember liking (them or the Thompson Twins), and somehow I missed that song until this movie came out.

Aubrey said...

My favorite part was when her daughter says "Regarder la petite abeille! Petite abeille..."